Wouldn’t it be great to work every day as an actor?

How cool would it be if all we had to do was pick up the phone and say, “I’d like to act today,” and the woman on the other end of the phone would say… “Okay, why don’t you come by tonight around 8 p.m. and you can play Roxie in Chicago. Does that work for you?” #BOOM

Wouldn’t that be great?!

And wouldn’t it be even more fun if you could answer, “Oh gee, I’m sorry. I’ll be filming an episode of Ozark tonight, but how about tomorrow for Roxie?”

“Sure, we’ll see you at 8 p.m. tomorrow!”

Okay, so that might not be exactly how things go down in our business. But there’s no reason why you can’t work every day as an actor. In fact, as far as I’m concerned, if you’re NOT working EVERY DAY at your acting career then you need to ask yourself how committed you are to really being an actor. #workeveryday

Because here is the truth:

Only about 1% of your work as an actor is actually working. The other 99% is working at getting work!

So, if you did not “work at getting work today,” you might not have any “work” tomorrow. As actors, we crave the acting jobs, but often, we’re not willing to put in the work it takes to get them! And I’m not talking about just going to class, or going to auditions, or sending out your headshots. I’m talking about really WORKIN’ IT! That means having a plan, staying committed to your plan, meeting new people, researching shows, staying connected with industry folks you already know. It means approaching it like it’s your job… because it is! #workingatgettingwork

So, the next time someone asks you what you do and you reply, “I’m an actor.” Go the next step and ask yourself, “What did I really do today to work at getting work as an actor?”

And, if you need some ideas on WHAT TO DO, download my free guide 52 Ways To One Up Your Acting Career. You’ll get a year’s worth of tips for “working at getting work.”

Leslie Becker is an award-winning actress, writer and creator of The Organized Actor® who is passionate about inspiring, entertaining and educating others. Sign up below for more tips for workin’ your acting career and your life. www.OrganizedActor.com

Leave a Reply