Did I say, “New Year’s Resolutions are crap?!”
Yes, I did.
I will also say that they will not give you happiness, they will not make you stay committed to them, and they will not keep you warm at night.
Wow, if I’m going to spout such atrocities, I better have a reason to support my #irrationalthoughts, and more importantly, an alternative for them.
After all, I go around talking about the importance of #goalsetting all the time, so why on earth would I believe that New Year’s Resolutions are crap?
Well, let me ask you today, on January 11th, have you stayed committed to your #NewYearsResolutions so far? I don’t mean, “Have you pretty much kept to them?” I mean have you 100% held yourself accountable and committed to your New Year’s Resolutions? If you are like most people, the answer is usually a big fat ‘NO!’ Here it is, nearly two weeks into the new year, and you are already not as committed as you were the first few days. And I’m going to give you the two biggest reasons why they don’t work and six great ways to really #Rock2018.
Reason #1: NYRs aren’t based in any kind of “why” or “how.” Most New Year’s Resolutions are based in #instantgratification, i.e. “I’m going to get fit,” “I’m going to finish writing my screenplay!” without ANY real underlying reason WHY you’re doing it or HOW you’re actually going to make it happen.
Reason #2: There is no accountability in place to succeed. Most of you spout out your resolutions without having any system in place to maintain your commitment. So the minute you lose your motivation it’s easy to stop because, well, who is going to know anyway?
So, if you really want to keep your New Year’s Resolutions, or better yet, create ACTUAL GOALS WITH PURPOSE AND COMMITMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY, here are 6 Ways You Can:
1. Choose a word for the year. Select one word that, if you applied it to everything in your life during 2018, it would make a massive difference for you. Maybe this is the year you Stretch. That could mean as an artist, as a human, stretching your body, your mind, trying things that scare you… whatever. Or maybe your word could be Value. Imagine if you chose to value yourself more? Value your time. Value your money. How could that word change your life? Pick a word that speaks to you and make it your #WordOfTheYear.
2. Go through a real goal setting process. Getting absolute clarity on what you really want and how you’re going to get it is CRUCIAL in the goal setting process. This happens to be what I specialize in and would love, love, love to help you. I have various ways you can do that. But whether you choose my Fool Proof System or someone else’s, give yourself the gift of a plan so you can finally get everything you want and deserve! #FoolProofGoalSetting
3. Finally do that thing you’ve been saying you want to do. We all have projects or ideas (actually, multitudes of them) that we just haven’t completed. Make this the year you finish that screenplay, or organize your closet or learn to speak Spanish. Whatever it is, just go do it finally. What are you waiting for? #FinishYourProject
4. Laugh more. It’s almost impossible to NOT rock the year if more of your time is spent laughing! Children laugh all the time. And actors and artists certainly laugh more than those I call “civilians.” But sadly, the older we get or the more jaded we get about the struggles of being an actor, we forget to laugh. Laughing will cure so many things both physical and mental. Laugh more and you will thrive in 2018. #LaughterIsMedicine
5. Get yourself an accountability partner. Find SOMEONE, ANYONE who can help hold you accountable to what you say you’re going to do. There’s nothing worse than getting half way through the year and realizing you didn’t do what you said you were going to do. Accountability comes in many forms whether it’s a friend, husband or wife, a small group or a professional coach. Whatever you choose, you owe it to yourself to invest in support! #accountabilitypartner
6. Have some balls this year. You heard me! Have some balls! Whatever your gender, don’t be afraid to show some balls in 2018. Stand in your own skin, in your own power and be the spectacular human you are! Go forth, beautiful people, and comment below if you enjoyed this post. #yearoftheballs
Leslie Becker is an award-winning Broadway actress, writer and creator of The Organized Actor® and is passionate about inspiring, entertaining and educating others. Sign up here for more tips for workin’ your acting career and your life. www.OrganizedActor.com.